frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Woodfired Oven Roaster

I recently picked up a BBQ roaster off another forum for $100 with the intention of converting it to use in my Wood Fired Oven (WFO).  I had previously seen one for $200 but it didn't come with any of the rods etc, where as this one has a motor, rods, and drum.  Basically ready to go/butcher! ;)  It was handmade, and the holes at 6mm are boarderline on being too big, but there are way around that I'm sure.  Suitable for me to much about with anyway, and it's well built.  Here's a few photos from the previous owner.

th_IMG_0400_sml.jpg  th_IMG_0402_sml.jpg  th_IMG_0372_sml.jpg

I've put it together roughly on my bench so that I can build a basic frame to slide into the oven.  I hooked the motor up to a 12v battery charger.  The previous owner used a zip tie to set to the speed which was a set by a trigger type mechanism, and at full throttle i would be doing about 60kph down the road! lol.  I was hoping that someone here might beable to help with a wiring diagram and some help sourcing the parts to have a variable speed.  (Dimmer switch?).  Any help will be rewarded with some WFO beans once the project is complete.

Here's an idea how the motor mounts, and a photo of the motor markings.  Might help?

th_IMG_0401_sml.jpg  th_motor.jpg

I've roasted in the WFO before with good results but it was all down by hand with beans between 2 sieves on a rod.  I did have quite a few inquires with people interested in tasting the beans.

I think if I slide this in with a heat source to the side it will get a reasonably even heat.  No it won't be the most consistent roaster on the planet, but that's not what I'm aiming for, just something different, and to see if the WFO adds anything to the roast in the cup.

Comments

  • Looks good and for $100 a bargain!  I'm reckoning 500g per batch but you may be bel to push it if desired.  I once did 3-4kg in my old home made BBQ roaster but handling that amount of hot beans and stainless steel for cooling was downright dangerous.  Plus I was drinking the results for 8 weeks before I decided the rest were compost and never again!  Yours looks a perfect size!
  • I think it should be able to do 500gm ok.  It's quite long.  I just need a little help with the 12v motor to calm it down to a good roasting speed.  The trigger works, but it's not really designed for speed regulation and won't be consistent between batches. I'll have to try to make up something that helps me get the beans out quickly without burning myself.  :-|
  • on 1353279302:
    I think it should be able to do 500gm ok.  It's quite long.  I just need a little help with the 12v motor to calm it down to a good roasting speed.  The trigger works, but it's not really designed for speed regulation and won't be consistent between batches. I'll have to try to make up something that helps me get the beans out quickly without burning myself.  :-|
    You can control speed with one of those wall wart power supplies that has several  different amp settings I use such a system on my BBQ KK
  • How many RPMs do you think I should be aiming for? KK, would be different different settings effect the load that the motor can handle?  I don't want it struggling at a reduced speed.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Coffee Forum

@ 2026 The Coffee Forum, All rights reserved.

Policies

Social