frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Where to buy tampers?

edited January 1970 in Espresso Machines
I had a look at The Pullman Tamper and from what I've read, they are very good.  The problem is I don't want to make a mistake in measuring the filter basket and I don't want to send the basket in for the fear that it might take too long or get lost.  So, is there a retail shop in Sydney where I can just take my filter basket to and have it fitted there and then??

TIA.

Comments

  • I got a pullman last year, for our wedding anniversary. I sent the basket down, and it was all done inside fo a week. Greg's runs a really good business, in that he communcates with you well, lets you know when he posts stuff to you and when he recieves things. I haven't heard of anyone losing stuff through him. Alternatively, you could find a metal turner and ask them to make one for you. Or you could go to a hospitality warehouse, and see if they sell tamps to fit. If your machine uses a 58mm portafilter/filter basket, I'd also recommend the tamps that Campos sell. They're a bit lighter and made from aluminium (just my guess), but they're really nice too. Just take your basket with you when you go shopping! Oh, you could also go to coffeeparts.com ... visit the warehouse, take your basket and find one that fits!
  • Have you tried to find the coffee lab design tampers? www.coffeelabdesign.com They have a great design and a range of sizes. They are adjustable and promote a straight tamp. Steve will know the size if you let him know what machine you have.
  • Have you tried to find the coffee lab design tampers? www.coffeelabdesign.com They have a great design and a range of sizes. They are adjustable and promote a straight tamp. Steve will know the size if you let him know what machine you have.
    Mmm, I think most decent suppliers will do that for you nzr, I've been doing that for the last four years...
  • Hey Greg, Nice to hear from you.  I can attest to the fact that Pullmen Tampers are first rate. Cheers, Pat
  • I just got my second one two days ago, love them!!
  • I was also was not sure if I like the idea of sending my basket out. Reason being that I was not sure I could live without it for the time it would take.
  • Hey... upstairs for thinking!
  • Yep being able to grab a basket that fits is a good way around the whole sending in your basket problems; also unless you've got excellent baskets already, it's a cheap way to shift your baskets into the top 5% of available quality. Continuous espresso + new tamper and Rolls Royce baskets = a great deal!
  • The only (small, minor) problem that I'm finding with all this is that baskets bend and wear out with lots of use. Ages ago, I bought a second double basket, to replace my old double basket which was starting to die. My pullman tamp which was made to fit got stuck - baskets aren't made with the same care and attention to detail that pullman tamps are. That's not greg's fault, that's the crusty italian basket manufacturer's fault.
  • Hey MattyJ, What you've noticed is probably more the manufacturing tolerances rather than your original basket having warped or bent - your new one must have been slightly smaller than the old one. There are photos on my website of two Rancilio-branded double baskets with over 0.5mm difference between them, and I've seen the same with some of the LMs that have come through! Fortunately when it comes through me rather than the customer buying directly, I have the opportunity to flag it and get the tamper made to fit it, regardless of its actual diameter. I have measurements of new 58mm baskets in my database that range from 57.8mm to 59.3mm! That's why I always recommend sending the basket in. Fortunately the Synessos have exceptionally reliable so far; fingers crossed! Greg
  • yeah, it's kind of silly - the variance in basket diameters, even baskets coming out of the same factory! I heard about a World Barista Competition once, where one guys tamp got stuck, because the baskets on the comp machines just happened to be just that little bit smaller that his tamp got stuck in. I think he used his whole 15 minutes trying to get the tamp out. I'm beginning to understand Mark Prince's rant about getting more precious about basket manufacturing.
  • There was quite a lengthy debate at coffeed.com re most of the baskets world wide coming from one of two companies in italy.  With this duopoly there is little incentive towards producing a superior product as nothing else is available (ie/ no alternative). Apparantly Synesso (to date) is the only company to have really gotten around this (yes, even La Marzzoco use those italian mobs) by getting a spannish co. to produce their baskets, with apparently much better results.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Coffee Forum

@ 2026 The Coffee Forum, All rights reserved.

Policies

Social