frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Lever Espresso Machines

124

Comments

  • As you know I've been looking for a new machine for ages.  Nothing really ticked all the boxes, but the Quickmill 0996 Achilles is damn bloody close. 0996.jpg HQ_0996_P1.jpg Commercial group, with 2 springs, which for me means hopefully more reliability with seals.  It's around the same size as the Londinium (less depth, a bit more width from what I can see), and weighs 40kg.  I'm not sure my glass table will hold that much!!!  Still I wouldn't be moving it about anyway. Here's the specs. - Professional lever group; - 4,5 lts. copper boiler - Automatic recharge; - Boiler with electronic niveau fill probe; - Niveau glass; - Stainless steel anti-burn steam nozzle; - Stainless steel anti-burn water nozzle; - Volumetric pump - Professional thermostat; - Certificated safety valve; - Safety system with pump and heater stop; - External rechargeable safety thermostat; - Stainless steel cup warmer; - Switch for use with water tank / direct water connection; - 3 lts. water tank; - Manomer to see the pressure in the boiler; - Direct water discharge in the drip tray; - With 1 and 2 exits filter holder. Turns out Jack at Sorrentina has imported a few with the intention of selling them as a permanent line if all goes well.  I have been more than happy with his customer service since owning the PV lusso.  He's looked after me post sale! :)  Also he's had a better experience with Quick Mill in terms of customer service too which is good to hear.  He's got the version with taps,  but I've seen them pictured online with fick style taps. Anyway, here's a few videos of one in action. [embed=425,349] [embed=425,349] They seem relatively new to the market, not many reviews, and not really mentioned on here.  With a Bosco group strapped on the front, and a similar thermosyhon design to the Londinium I, it's seems to work well.  The guy in the video seems more than happy with his. Anyone else have any thoughts on this machine?
  • Hi Lacehim, I have just bought one from Jack. It arrived last Friday. It is a seriously-sized machine!
  • Mine is underway with Jack as we speak.  So what are your initial thoughts about the machine?  Whats the build quality like?  And most importantly what's the coffee like? ;)  can we have a photo of your set up.
  • I am really impressed with the build quality of the machine. Stainless frame....stainless everything! And in my eyes this is a really attractive looking machine. The portafilters are the only dodgy part of the package. They are not well balanced and the handles are too short for my liking. I would say the ideal candidate for some quality turned wooden handles! Mine is identical to your first picture. I have seen pictures of an Achille with black feet, flat top and toggle water and steam valves. Although there are other reports of heater capacity, mine has a sticker on it that says 1550W. I have only had the machine for 4 days but the coffee is improving daily. !8 gm of grounds is too much...16 gm gives better results....not for flavour but for less channeling. Flavours are very good....not excellent yet...crema is less prolific that from my Cremina...but improving. Mine just now took 13 minutes to close the anti-vac valve and then a further 4 minutes to build pressure to the 1.2 bar that it is set at. Mine is at proper operating temperature when the base of the lever is quite warm. The double springs take more oomph to lower than what you would think. It is indeed a serious machine.
  • The double springs take more oomph to lower than what you would think. It is indeed a serious machine.
    I had the same reason to get a longer lever handle for my Strega  ?action=dlattach;attach=2390;image See this thread - http://www.bestcafes.com.au/forum/accessories/custom-resin-handles/ It certainly makes it a lot easier This one is the newest one I use ?action=dlattach;attach=4146;image KK
  • Lacehim. I think you have made a good choice. Quickmill are an unbelievably low-profile Italian manufacturer who turn out superb quality equipment. I dealt with them about 4-5 years ago - small family operation with tons of pride in their product and surprisingly for Italians - a real care about customer support. They are highly skilled engineers. I'm amazed why they have not been able to get a decent run here in Aus - their other domestic and auto machines are assembled from good quality components and well engineered. Quickmill get more airplay in the US where one of the big Disti's takes a leading role in promoting the brand. They have been around for a long time and make other catering gear of high quality. Quickmill also produce coffee equipment that is OEM by other brands.
  • Well done Lacehim and Paolo5 All reports suggest that the QM is a good unit I think it'll be a winner for Sorrentina Looking forward to your reports soon
  • Thanks guys, it's reassuring to know that.  With such a big purchase I was a bit concerned about picking the right machine.  This machine will hopefully last me a long time. I hope Jack at Sorrentina does sell Quick Mill machine permanently.  He's a great guy to deal with, and a pleasure to do business with.  He also mentioned to me that Quick Mill have been fantastic support wise too, so hopefully we can also have good backup from the manufacturer. I'm now on the look out for a nice table to put it on.  My current one is rather low and doing my back in!  I hope the wife doesn't freak out when she gets the visa bill!
  • Maybe she won't notice it's an entirely different machine on the bench? ;)
  • I remember the Quickmill thread when the first one turned up on HB, looks like a nice machine, will do the job very nicely Lacehim. I reckon it would be up there with the Izzo & Bosco in terms of quality and finish.
  • I too remember the thread on HB,  the video wasn't the best but the machine looked great.. Can't wait to hear more about it, I'm nearly jealous... :)
  • I have now had the Bezzera Strega at home for several months and was the first person in Australia to use one Haven't faulted it yet It's just churns out one great coffee after another I do mix it up a little from time to time with different pre infusion times and methods I am very happy with my purchase and the only regret is that I should have done it sooner KK
  • Congrats Lacy! you must be excited...... and broke!
  • on 1350381207:
    Thanks guys, it's reassuring to know that.  With such a big purchase I was a bit concerned about picking the right machine.  This machine will hopefully last me a long time.   I hope the wife doesn't freak out when she gets the visa bill!
    Maybe if you hang an expensive bit of jewelry on the lever she won't notice the big machine holding the jewelry ;D My wife rolls her eyes every time I modify one of my hobbies or add to one of them; I think a cruise is in her future...
  • Hi all, I'm a huge fan of the Profitec Pro 800.  After approx 7-8 machines over 10+ years I think this is the end point.  It's an absolute beauty.  It's a true "classic Italian" dipper lever machine with a PID hidden away behind the drip tray.  e029f8484625d0d132f47309fec63bfe.png Video of me using this beauty, set to music :)
  • Yep!  What's the price-point compared to the old Strega and UK's Linoleum R1?? Do you actually use the PID and if so, how often?
  • on 1484469828:
    Yep!  What's the price-point compared to the old Strega and UK's Linoleum R1?? Do you actually use the PID and if so, how often?
    Hi Brett, It's a class above the Strega but you pay for the privilege.  RRP is approx $4700.  It's a dream machine though.  Whisper quiet (pumpless) when plumbed in.  Also, a true dipper with a classic CMS group. I know the Strega well.  It's OK for the $, but it's really an entry level Lever with compromises to keep the price down. Cheers :) Paul
  • Shame I'm not closer to you to try one out.  Agree with your respectful assessment of the Strega. I love levers (have two now) but even at 2600 the Strega came up short for me.  Enjoy mate!
  • on 1484471990:
    Hi Brett, It's a class above the Strega but you pay for the privilege.  RRP is approx $4700.  It's a dream machine though.  Whisper quiet (pumpless) when plumbed in.  Also, a true dipper with a classic CMS group. I know the Strega well.  It's OK for the $, but it's really an entry level Lever with compromises to keep the price down. Cheers :) Paul
    How can you say the Strega is entry level There is more than one model All mechanical devises are built to a design Any design can be enhanced or compromised I happen to feel that the Strega has been enhanced by incorporating commercial and prosumer components KK
  • on 1484469828:
    Yep!  What's the price-point compared to the old Strega and UK's Linoleum R1?? Do you actually use the PID and if so, how often?
    Hi Brett, Yes, I use the PID to get the best temp for a blend.  If I have a coffee that's a little acidic I'll increase temp.  If it needs a little more brightness/florals I'll decrease temp. Cheers :) Paul
  • on 1484519554:
    How can you say the Strega is entry level
    Hi KK, I know you love your Strega. It's certainly not entry level as a machine but it's entry level as a lever.  High end dipper levers are $4.5k+ The things I don't like about the Strega are: 1. No PID 2. Plastic cover on top of the lever. 3. Domestic pressure stat. 4. It needs more weight at the back at it can tip forward when you pull the lever. 5. You can't add pressure during extraction.  You can reduce pressure by holding then lever back, but you can't increase pressure by pushing the lever forward. 6. The pump is noisy.  Noisy pumps are my major gripe with all Bezzeras. 7. With the HX design there's no way to run silently (without the pump) An aftermarket PID fitting is a good option but by the time you pay for that you may as well have spent a little more to get a real dipper. If I had $3k I would be buying a quality HX with and e61 would be my choice.  There are so any great HX machines at just under $3k. Sorry to sound negative but believe me, all the points above are my honest assessments. If you have a Strega, take a look at something like a Profitec Pro 500 and you'll be blown away by the difference.  It's apples and oranges. Cheers, Paul :)
  • on 1484521502:
    Hi KK, I know you love your Strega. It's certainly not entry level as a machine but it's entry level as a lever.  High end dipper levers are $4.5k+ The things I don't like about the Strega are: 1. No PID 2. Plastic cover on top of the lever. 3. Domestic pressure stat. 4. It needs more weight at the back at it can tip forward when you pull the lever. 5. You can't add pressure during extraction.  You can reduce pressure by holding then lever back, but you can't increase pressure by pushing the lever forward. 6. The pump is noisy.  Noisy pumps are my major gripe with all Bezzeras. 7. With the HX design there's no way to run silently (without the pump) An aftermarket PID fitting is a good option but by the time you pay for that you may as well have spent a little more to get a real dipper. If I had $3k I would be buying a quality HX with and e61 would be my choice.  There are so any great HX machines at just under $3k. Sorry to sound negative but believe me, all the points above are my honest assessments. If you have a Strega, take a look at something like a Profitec Pro 500 and you'll be blown away by the difference.  It's apples and oranges. Cheers, Paul :)
    I completely agree and it's funny you say but when I had $3k I tried the Strega and went straight out and bought a HX PID!  Luckily for my bank balance at the time this wasn't available!
  • PIDed HX.....  I'm guessing that's a Giotto V3 PID Brett.  Am I correct?
  • I have tried other levers from the small to the large even 2 group commercial All good machines Been roasting and drinking coffee before the age of 10 Of course those early years were with my grandmother My extended family have been in the restaurant and cafe trade for decades What I am trying to convey is that any machine can be sensational when the operator knows what they are doing and knows the roasted beans they are using A good operator will and can adjust ones routine to suit the situation For operators on the upgrade path, a Strega is an easier machine to use - while giving them equal footing to other machines equaling superior coffee It could be argued that a machine with to many choices can be a hindrance Let me further say that I also appreciate other styles of coffee where a machine is not nessasary  :angel: KK
  • on 1484520761:
    Hi Brett, Yes, I use the PID to get the best temp for a blend.  If I have a coffee that's a little acidic I'll increase temp.  If it needs a little more brightness/florals I'll decrease temp. Cheers :) Paul
    So, if your coffee is a little acidic, you increase the  temp. Please explain what and how, as the lever is a huge chunk of metal, and I am interested how you can accurately increase its temp. Where is the temp measured and how is the increase occurring? If it needs more brightness/ florals (acidity in my language) then you decrease the temp. So at higher temps you are getting a lacklustre coffee, and at lower temps it is acidic. Too many variables that are not clarified, such as depth of roast, type of bean etc, etc. I am a firm believer in simplicity, and am not convinced a PID is needed on a properly built and designed lever. Temperature stability is more important. Out of interest, if your last coffee today is perfect, and you leave your grinder at the same setting, what is the result tomorrow morning (using the same coffee as today), when you: Pull 6 espressos, one after the other, with a reasonable time lag in between for prep etc? Assume machine has heated up (say 30-40 minutes). For Example, using the same dose, and grind, pull 6  espressos without any adjustments. What is the result in each cup, and how much does each pour differ?
  • Hi again, The PID allows me to increase or decrease the average group and water temp but there's nothing trivial/exact about it.  There's science and art and with the lever it's mostly art.  Too complicated for a short forum post to be honest.  This is stuff for conversation :) Cheers Paul
  • Regarding roast depth I have stated on many occasions that the roast depth for espresso and the close correlation of the set temperature band on all espresso machines Light roasts are not suited to espresso - even if the brew temperature can be adjusted The reason for this is due to the coffee that's roasted on the light side - needs a longer steep time KK
  • All Levers are wonderful, it just takes the right person to bring out the magic in them. Some believe that only one type of group, made by a particular manufacturer surpasses all others.  ::) ::) Others state that by using a smaller group size (less than the industry normal 58mm), the results are superior due to the depth and shape of the "unique" basket. :angel: Personally I think that not having a 58mm basket size, is a disadvantage.  >:D Classifying certain levers as high end is nothing more than "shop talk". It is hard to define what makes a machine high end. Price is not necessarily a true indicator of quality. Some high end espresso machines (expensive) are very temperamental, high maintenance and prone to break down. My imperfect (no precision laser cut panels here), lack lustre (no PID or renowned group) lever is still going strong, is very low maintenance and still manages to produce sensational coffee. The design is proven and tested (over decades), and copied by many. Coming from an artisan workshop, it would be sacrilegious to defile it hipster style, with unnecessary electronics.
  • What, not even Underglow lights and spinning light-up dials?? That's not a coffee machine, it's an homage to the Amish :D Surely any lever with a rotary pump and 4+ litre boiler can be considered high-end if merely for the thermal stability and commercial parts.  I'm not interested in a PID because I don't drink lighter roasts as espresso but the bragging rights conflicts me.  I mean sure we talk about category killers but I'm here to talk coffee not be a snob; but, if the old QM Achilles dies Ill come looking for a great price K-bean!  I will expect Underglow!!! P.s I'm running low on coffee L ;)
  • on 1484566416:
    ...... can be considered high-end if merely for the thermal stability and commercial parts.  I'm not interested in a PID because I don't drink lighter roasts as espresso but the bragging rights conflicts me.
    Spot on Brett.  My lever with no pump in use (plumbed), 3L boiler and PID is great.  If the PID wasn't there I would still love the machine, and keep it.  The PID is nice to have but it's not something I have to have.  Cheers :)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Coffee Forum

@ 2026 The Coffee Forum, All rights reserved.

Policies

Social